Disclaimer: If you are looking for advice on how to implement a mediation and journaling session into your morning routine before gleefully lacing up your running shoes and skipping out the door for a refreshing 5-mile run before getting ready for work…you probably want to read another blog. As a self-proclaimed “healthy person” even I have limits, especially first thing in the morning. This is real advice for real people that want to be healthier in a realistic manner. Being that it is not my intention to overwhelm you, this is a three-part blog with achievable steps to ease you into the morning routine.
Depending on the day my alarm sounds between 5:00am and 6:00am. I hurl myself out of bed into the dark frigidness while my dog groans in annoyance and reshuffles to a more comfortable sleep position. Even the dog thinks it is too early. I am not a morning person. My self-pitying inner voice tries to lure me back into an endless cycle of snoozing and, although very tempting, I consider my husband who has already left the house at 4:15am and my early-rising yoga students that await and drag myself to the bathroom to start my trusted morning ritual.
Here’s the gist: If I, the adult woman that would blissfully sleep until noon if left to her own devices, can do this routine every morning at 0-dark-thirty, then so can you.
I swear by this routine and the three beverages it entails as a way to rehydrate after water loss during sleep, wake-up your systems, stave off hunger, feed your brain, and stay regular.
Side note: If you are not having a regular bowel movement at least once (if not twice) a day you need to get things moving, literally, with proper nutrition and hydration. Fake fiber is not the answer. This routine will help!
Part 1: Lemon Water 2.0
The prep work:
1. Go shopping and stock up on the following:
· In the bulk spice section (organic if possible):
· Turmeric (Benefits of Turmeric)
· Cayenne Pepper (Benefits of Cayenne Pepper)
· Cinnamon (Benefits of Cinnamon)
2. Mix equal parts turmeric, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon in a mason jar.
1. Upon waking, brush your teeth and tongue to get rid of the nightly bacteria build-up. If you really want to go for it scrape your tongue, but you know, baby steps.
2. In a large glass mix:
· 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of the spice mixture. It is strong so make sure it is a large glass! (Save time by doing this step at night so it is ready to go in the morning!)
· Juice of a whole lemon
· Warm water
3. Drink up!
· I typically refill the glass with warm water to wash down the first round and ensure that I’m starting the day hydrated.
Get in the habit of drinking your Lemon Water 2.0 every morning and notice how you feel!
Next week we’ll add on with Coffee 2.0.